Chicken and Pineapple Salad
Cooking Time : 10 minutes micro cooking.
Preparation & Cooking
- Wash chicken and smear it with lemon juice and ½ tsp salt. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Wash and chop spring onions, greens and celery sticks.
- Mix mayonnaise and fresh cream and chill.
- Place chicken in the steaming basket with ¼ cup water underneath and cook on HIGH for 10 minutes, turning once after 5 minutes. Let it stand for 10 minutes. Remove and cool slightly. Cut it into cubes or thin strips. Or shred it.
- Cut pineapple also in the same fashion.
- Mix chicken, pineapple, celery, spring onion and chilled mayonnaise and cream mixture in a serving bowl and toss.
- Adjust salt and pepper and store under refrigeration till used.
Serve cold as a main dish or a side dish with any meal in the hot summer months.
- Make Chicken Salad with Nuts. Omit pineapple and add 1 cup soaked and chopped cashew nuts or walnuts. Soak nuts in lukewarm water for 5 to 6 hours before use.
- Make low calorie Chicken Salad: Combine cooked chicken and pineapple with 2 tbsp lemon juice, ¼ cup chopped Parsley, 2 thinly sliced celery sticks; season with salt and pepper and serve on a bed of lettuce.
Note: Soaked nuts get revived and become like fresh fruits that are easier to digest.
In India, fresh pineapple is available in abundance. When in season, it can be cleaned, sliced, cooked and preserved under refrigeration in the deep freezer compartment.
Tip: Cook 1 sliced pineapple with 1 cup sugar and ½ cup water in a microwave on HIGH for 15 minutes. Cool and preserve.
*All the images are indicative.