Cooking Time : 5 minutes baking.
Preparation & Cooking
- Preheat the CONVECTION mode of your microwave oven on 200° Celsius.
- Cut sponge cake into two halves (roundels).
- Beat 5 egg whites very stiff. Add sugar gradually beating constantly, until dissolved. Continue beating till meringue stands in shiny peak.
- Place the cake in a flat heatproof dish.
- Apply a thick layer of ice cream on the first half of the cake; cover with the second half; place ice cream on top and cover the cake properly. Now cover cake and ice cream on cake entirely with beaten egg mixture, sealing well from all sides.
- Bake in hot oven for 5 minutes or till the meringue is light brown.
Slice the cake and serve immediately.
You can have any shape of cake for baked alaska.
Rectangle and round shapes are more common for this dessert.
For better effect always use chocolate ice cream with milk sponge cake and vanilla ice cream with chocolate or chocolate sponge cake because aesthetically contrast always appeals better.
*All the images are indicative.