Basic Onion and Tomato Paste
Cooking Time : 35 minutes for micro cooking.
Preparation & Cooking
- Cut onions into thin slices, mix with 3 tbsp of cooking oil and microwave it uncovered on HIGH for 10 minutes, stirring once in between. Sprinkle 1 tsp salt, stir and cook for another 3 minutes on HIGH, leave it uncovered.
- Halve the tomatoes; place them on a flat plate; cook on micro HIGH for 5 minutes; remove and cool. Peel off the skin, chop them roughly, mix with onions and pass through a liquidiser to make a fine paste. Or cut tomatoes (before blanching) into small pieces and grind them fine with cooked onions.
- In a deep microwave-safe bowl add 2 tbsp of oil and cumin and then microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes.
- In the same bowl add onion and tomato paste, ginger garlic paste, turmeric and chilli powders, salt and mix spice powder (garam masala). Cover it with a lid and microwave on HIGH for 15 minutes.
- Let it stand for 5 minutes and open the lid. Now, your thick paste for cooking any dish is ready; cool, divide and store in small containers; mark and place in the freezer.
- Remove as much as required, ½ an hour before use.
Can be used for cooking (as a base) various other dishes.
This quantity will give you approximately 4 cups of thick masala.
No preservatives are added here.
*All the images are indicative.