Bottle Gourd Pickle (Lauki/Ghia Achar)
Cooking Time : 7 minutes for micro cooking.
Preparation & Cooking
- Peel and cut the gourd lengthwise into 2 pieces; remove the seeds and cut into 1½-inch pieces.
- Micro boil gourd pieces with vinegar for 6 minutes on HIGH, covered. Stand for 2 minutes and remove. Cool.
- Place mustard seeds, red chillies and fenugreek in a heatproof plate and cook on HIGH for 1½ minutes.
- Remove and grind to a fine paste with ¼ cup vinegar, salt and ginger-garlic paste. Add more vinegar if required to get pouring consistency.
- Mix boiled gourd pieces and spice paste together and put in a clean glass jar. Tie a muslin cloth on mouth of the jar and place it under sunshine for 2 to 3 days without a lid.
Serve it with any Indian meal.
This pickle will be ready to eat after 3 to 4 days as the spices take time to mature.
*All the images are indicative.