Carrot and Cauliflower Pickle
Cooking Time : 29 minutes for micro cooking.
Preparation & Cooking
- In a large microwave-safe bowl boil 6 cups of water for 10 minutes on micro HIGH; add carrots and cook for 2 minutes.
- Strain and save the water.
- Spread the carrots on a newspaper under the fan for 2 hours.
- Add 1 cup more water to the saved one and boil on HIGH for 8 minutes; add cauliflower pieces and cook on HIGH for 2 minutes, and drain the water immediately.
- Spread cauliflower, too, under the fan for 2 to 3 hours.
- Grate jaggery. Heat vinegar and jaggery together in a small bowl for 3 minutes on HIGH.
- Heat mustard oil to the smoking point on the top of the gas and cool.
- Roast fenugreek for 1 minute on HIGH and grind it with onions.
- Grind fenugreek, onion, ginger and garlic with 50 ml vinegar.
- Mix the onion paste and oil in the bigger bowl and cook on micro HIGH for 3 minutes.
- Add dry spices, salt, chilli powder and vinegar with jaggery to the onion paste.
- Mix vegetable pieces and roll them in the prepared masala.
- Cool and store in a clean glass jar.
Serve this sweet and sour pickle with any Indian meal any time. It tastes excellent with parathas/chapatis/pooris and a dal-rice meal.
The pickle will be ready after 3 to 4 days. Keep it in a jar in the sun regularly for a few days. Remove the lid; tie a clean piece of muslin cloth on the mouth of jar and place in the sun for a week or so. Shake the bottle of pickle every day.
*All the images are indicative.