Chinese Chicken Corn Soup
Cooking Time : 19 minutes micro cooking.
Preparation & Cooking
- Put 5 cups chicken stock in a large deep microwave-safe bowl; place corn and boneless chicken in it; cover with a lid and cook on micro HIGH for 10 minutes.
- Stand the dish for 3 minutes; open the lid and lift the chicken out; cool and cut it neatly into thin strips or shred it.
- Keep the soup warm. Mix corn flour with remaining 1 cup of stock and pour into the hot soup. Add 1 tsp salt and stir well. Cover and cook on micro HIGH for 6 minutes or till it boils, stirring twice in between.
- In the meantime beat eggs and pour into the hot soup through a rice strainer (sieve with bigger holes) and keep stirring. Or pour the beaten eggs slowly from a height in a thin stream. Do not let the eggs to coagulate, keep stirring with a fork.
- Mix shredded chicken in the soup and heat through for 3 minutes on REHEAT and serve.
Note:This soup is supposed to be thick in consistency, so if required increase quantity of cornstarch while thickening the soup.
Serve hot with the various sauces.
Cook ‘Corn and Vegetable Soup’ with or without egg drops. Omit chicken and instead use 1½ cups chopped vegetables, like carrot, cauliflower, beans, mushrooms and capsicum along with corn and follow the same procedure. Garnish with ¼ cup chopped coriander and serve with various sauces. Cook ‘Chicken Noodles Soup’ without egg drops. Omit corn, reduce the quantity of corn flour to 1 tbsp; add 1 cup instant broken noodles and boil with shredded chicken and ham in the soup for 3 minutes. Sometimes noodles are boiled separately and divided into soup bowls, sprinkled with seasoning and soy sauce, etc; the ready and thickened boiling stock is poured over and finally shredded chicken is placed on top, and served. Cook ‘Shrimp, Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup’ without egg drops. Use whole kernel 1 cup corn, ½ cup shelled shrimps, ½ cup green peas and a boneless chicken breast. Flavour it with black pepper.
Note:Do not put more salt in the soup because soy sauce is very salty.
*All the images are indicative.