Chinese Sweet-n-Sour Vegetables
Cooking Time : 16 minutes micro cooking.
Preparation & Cooking
- Chop onion and tomatoes into 1-inch square pieces.
- Heat oil in a microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute on HIGH; add chopped onion and garlic paste and cook on HIGH for 1 minute; add vinegar, 1 cup water, tomato sauce, chilli powder, sugar, salt and ajinomoto; mix it and cook on HIGH for 6 to 7 minutes, stirring once in between.
- Mix corn flour with ½ cup water and pour into boiling sauce; stir well and cook for 3 minutes, stirring once. Beat egg white very stiff and mix with the sauce for the shine.
- Take out the bowl; add chopped tomato and capsicum and keep it covered to avoid formation of film on top of the sauce.
- Mix the chopped vegetables in the steaming basket and steam them for 3 minutes on HIGH. Stand them for 3 minutes and then add boiled vegetables to the sauce.
Serve hot with fried rice or noodles.
Add cooked Chicken/Prawns/Chicken or Mutton to this sauce. Cut 250 gm boneless meat of your choice into small pieces or thin slices and marinate with 1 cup vinegar, a pinch of ajinomoto, salt, pepper, chilli and mustard powders and 1 tbsp oil for 2 hours; strain the liquid and save; sprinkle ¼ cup flour and 1 tsp salt; add a dash of tomato and chilli sauce, mix well and place in a microwave-safe bowl (in which 2 tbsp oil has been added) and cook on HIGH for 6 to 8 minutes. Add the saved marinade to the meat and place it in the sweet-n-sour sauce with vegetables or without them. Cover and cook for 2 minutes on HIGH and serve.
Note:Chicken and prawns will be nicely cooked this way but if you are using mutton/chicken, then it is advisable to shred them fine or fry the meat after adding flour and 1 egg to it.
*All the images are indicative.