Kabuli Chana Dry
Cooking Time : 31 minutes micro cooking.
Preparation & Cooking
- Wash and soak chanas with 3 cups of water and baking soda for 12 hours or overnight for the same period.
- Put all dry ingredients in a paper bag and roast on micro high for 3 minutes, shaking once. Cool and powder them.
- Discard that water in which chanas were soaked and wash them; cook in microwave with 1 tsp salt and 2 cups water for 8 minutes on high, covered; stir and further cook for 15 minutes on medium, covered tightly, so that chickpeas can absorb water and get cooked evenly.
- Let the dish stand covered for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a small microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute on high and add powdered spices; mix well and cook for 2 minutes on high.
- Mix spices with boiled chanas; add tomato purée; adjust salt; cover and cook for 3 minutes on high. Stand for 5 minutes.
Garnish with thinly sliced ginger juliennes and coriander and serve hot with pooris/ parathas.
It is essential tosoak all the legumes(wholedals,chana,rajma,etc)for specified period when cooking in microwave, and to get desired results, because these ingredients take long to cook even in traditional cooking. If you do not have time to soak legumes for that long period, you may boil them in a pressure cooker and follow rest of the recipe. This way you can plan your meals within your specified times pentin the kitchen. After all, microwave is a time saving device, and not an only appliance in the kitchen to depend upon. In fact, it is fun to use the new and the traditional methods of cooking side by side.
*All the images are indicative.