Lemon Delight (Nimboo Chutney)
Cooking Time : 15 minutes microwave cooking.
Preparation & Cooking
- Wash, clean and quarter the lemons, and with the tip of the knife remove the seeds.
- Place the lemons in a big microwave-safe bowl, cover and cook on micro HIGH for 13 minutes.
- Meanwhile grate jaggery or break it into very small pieces. Add this to cooked lemons, cover and cook again for 2 minutes on micro HIGH.
- Remove the bowl, open its lid and add 2½ cups sugar in it. Cover with the lid and let it stand for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Pass the lemon mixture through a liquidiser when still warm.
- Heat up oil in a small ladle on gas stove; crackle fenugreek seeds and pour over lemons.
- Add asafetida and chilli powder in it. Stir and pour the mixture into puréed lemons. Add both the salts and liquidise once again.
- Check the chilli and salt.
- Cool thoroughly and store in clean and sterilised glass bottles.
This recipe will give you almost 1 kg lemon chutney.
Enjoy this relish with any Indian meal.
Instead of good quality gur, use only sugar (3 cups more sugar for this recipe).
* Instead of rock salt use common salt according to your taste.
This is one of the favourite family recipes of a close friends of mine who lives in Nagpur.
For years I was cooking it in the traditional manner; but one day, I thought of giving it a trial in the microwave and surprisingly, it seemed very easy and came out well.
*All the images are indicative.