Cooking Time : 30 minutes micro cooking.
Preparation & Cooking
- Soak lentils for 30 minutes. In a large microwave-safe bowl cook lentils with 1 cup water and ginger-garlic paste on HIGH for 6 minutes, covered.
- Chop parsley and grate cheese. Keep aside for garnishing.
- Remove cooked lentils; add 1 cup water and pass through a blender.
- Heat remaining 2 cups of water for 1 minute on HIGH.
- Steam mixed chopped vegetables for 2 minutes on HIGH.
- Heat butter in a microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute on HIGH; add flour, stir and cook on HIGH for 2 minutes. Add warm water a little at a time and make a smooth paste of the flour. Cook on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring once in between.
- Pour lentil soup; add salt and pepper; mix well with a whisk; add steamed vegetables; cover and cook for 15 minutes on HIGH, stirring twice in between. Soup should be boiling nicely.
- Heat 1 tsp butter on top of the gas; crackle ¼ tsp cumin in it; add chopped garlic and fry till pinkish brown; switch off the heat and add a big pinch of asafetida.
- Pour the tempering over hot soup; sprinkle nutmeg powder and cover the soup for some time.
Serve it hot, garnished with chopped parsley/coriander. This soup accompanies very well with Melba toast (thin crisply toasted bread). Try it with crisp khakhras, too.
This soup/beverage is an ideal starter in the hot summer months as its cooling effect is soothing and takes away the body heat. This soup is more popular in western and southern India.
- Moong Dal Soup: Soak 1 cup whole moong for 6 hours; boil with 1 cup water for 6 minutes on HIGH and 15 minutes on MEDIUM; pass through a blender; add 4 cups water and churn again; sieve; boil on HIGH for 10 minutes and temper with cumin and asafoetida. Serve hot. It is supposed to be an excellent diet for ailing and recuperating persons.
- Black Gram Soup: Soak black gram a little longer or overnight and boil with a piece of ginger and a few flakes of garlic for 30 minutes on HIGH; mash and strain; boil and temper with cumin and asafoetida. Serve hot garnished with a little coriander. This soup is supposed to be as healthy as clear mutton soup, so again a good diet for ailing and recuperating people.
Instead of flour in the lentil soup, use potato. Boil potato with lentils and liquidise. Do not add flour to the butter. Just add 2 tsp corn flour and follow the same process. Lentil is orange coloured Dhuli Masoor Dal.
*All the images are indicative.