Nutty Pumpkin Chutney
Cooking Time : 8 minutes for micro cooking.
Preparation & Cooking
- Heat oil in a microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute on HIGH.
- Add urad dal and peanuts and cook on micro HIGH for 2 minutes.
- Add pumpkin peels and seeds, green chillies, 3 sprig curry leaves and salt to the bowl and cook on HIGH for 5 minutes, covered. Stand for 3 minutes.
- Cool and grind in an electric grinder.
- Add curds and tamarind pulp, and churn to dilute. Check the salt.
- Take out in a serving bowl and temper it before serving.
- Heat oil on top of the gas stove, crackle mustard seeds and dry chilli and switch off the heat; add asafetida and pour over chutney.
Serve this chutney with idli/dosa/uttapum etc. Or spread on toasted bread slices, place slices of tomato/cucumber or cheese in between and enjoy as a sandwich.
Pumpkin peels and seeds relish is a good substitute of coconut chutney usually served with South Indian snacks. It is very healthy too, pumpkin seeds are full of protein and other minerals and the peels are good fibres.
In our household, this chutney is prepared whenever pumpkin is cooked (in one or the other form) and is relished by one and all.
*All the images are indicative.