Plain Vegetable Soup
Cooking Time : 14 minutes micro cooking.
Preparation & Cooking
- Wash and chop tomatoes roughly, potato without peeling, and ginger.
- Scrape carrot, beetroot and coconut; cut them into small pieces; wash, clean and chop onion and mix with other vegetables.
- Place all the chopped vegetables and garlic in a microwave-safe bowl; add 1 cup water and micro cook for 6 minutes on HIGH, covered. Stand it for 5 minutes.
- Take out the bowl and add 5 cups water over the vegetables; strain through a sieve, save the liquid; purée the vegetables in a liquidiser; mix with the saved liquid and sieve the soup once again in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to the taste; cover the soup with a lid and boil on micro HIGH for 8 minutes.
- Heat butter in a tempering ladle on the top of the gas stove; crackle cumin in it; add asafetida powder and immediately switch off the heat. Pour the tempering in hot boiling soup and sprinkle it with coriander.
Pour hot plain soup in the soup cups/glasses, garnish with a 1 tsp cream in each cup and serve it hot with breadsticks.
You may use chicken/mutton stock instead of water.
You may add chopped cucumber to the soup.
This thin soup is an ideal warmer during the rainy season or cold winter months. This appetizer is light in nature but very nourishing otherwise. Use of potato in this soup discourages the use of flour/corn flour as a thickening agent. Beetroot imparts a lovely colour to the soup. Beetroot and potato peels provide potassium and zinc to the body.
*All the images are indicative.