Cooking Time : 18 minutes micro cooking.
Preparation & Cooking
- Sift cornmeal and salt together; combine with water.
- Boil remaining water in a microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 8 minutes.
- Gradually add cornmeal mixture into the boiled water. Add Italian herbs and 2 tbsp butter in it. Mix properly.
- Cook for 5 minutes on HIGH, uncovered; take out the bowl and stir the mixture properly.
- Cover the dish and cook again on HIGH for 5 minutes. Stand it for 5 minutes in the oven.
Serve it hot with sauce or meat sauce. It is delicious to be eaten hot like porridge
- Add grated cheese to the mixture and pour it into a greased baking dish; sprinkle a little more cheese and bake in moderately hot oven until brown.
- Pour into the greased loaf tin; cover and chill until firm. Cut it into the slices and serve with any of the sauces.
- Cut the firm polenta into ½ -inch thick slices; coat with cornmeal and shallow fry in hot fat, turning to brown on both sides.
Serve shallow fried pieces with sauce/honey/corn syrup or maple syrup.
In Italian cookery especially, Polenta is a breakfast dish, but I am sure, one can enjoy it anytime. The same dish is known as corn mush or sautéed corn mush in American cookery.
*All the images are indicative.